Thursday, October 16, 2008

5 months since graduation, but the learning never stops.

As a general recap of my college career:
  • Begin URI as a journalism major.
  • Become afraid of the rigidity of the curriculum and gen eds being too specific, switch to English major.
    • realize I'm totally noncommittal.
  • Realize there's not much I can do with an English major, add Elementary Education.
  • Realize I only really like the little little kids, switch to Early Childhood Education.
  • Realize that the ECE major is really a double major in and of itself, drop English to a minor.
  • Decide I don't really want to teach, drop the Education portion of the ECE double major: Education/HDF.
  • See Invisible Children and become passionate about children affected by the war in Northern Uganda.
  • Meet Bryn and realize that International Development is a thing and that I am really passionate about that.
  • Add minor in International Development.
  • Realize I have potential in the field of photography.
  • Travel to Italy for a photography course.
    • Realize I am a total pushover and pull a 180.
  • Start non-profit chapter with friends and learn how difficult it is.
    • And learn how awesome it is.
  • Decide to work in International Development.
  • Apply to a million jobs in ID and community development, including totally sweet IC job that I'm sure was meant to be.
  • Graduate.
And since then:
  • Travel to Newfoundland
    • Learn a lot about self and priorities.
  • End up practically running a camp I was supposed to just be a counselor at.
    • Learn a lot about improvisation and leadership.
    • Learn how to get my way.
    • Learn my limits.
  • Learn that the totally sweet IC job wasn't meant to be.
  • Search for a job in Canada.
    • Realize I am still way noncommittal.
  • Apply for a job at a sweet Early Learning Center.
  • Travel to Canada
  • Cook up plan to travel the world
  • Decide to actually go ahead with plan
  • Settle for subbing at above mentioned Early Learning Center, to earn money for above mentioned trip.
    • Learn a lot more about my age preferences and confidence in the classroom
  • Realize I really did want to teach.
Damn it all.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

There's so much Canada in there.

As you said, being a student doesn't mean that when you graduate you stop learning. Life itself is a classroom and whomever you meet along the road, whether it be for 5 minutes, 5 hours, or 5 years, they have potential to teach you more than you ever thought they could and completely flip your world upside down. That's why you can't just sit back and wonder. You need to step outside the comfort zone, travel the world, introduce yourself to people, and never ever let yourself wonder "what if..."

Teaching is for suckers. :-P

<3